Todd William

Why we should deemphasize employment numbers and focus on distribution...

(Artwork by: Marcel Caram)

"I understand we all want paychecks - or at least money. We want food, shelter, clothing, and all the things that money buys us. But do we really want jobs?"

"We're living in an economy where productivity is no longer the goal, employment is. That's because, on a very fundamental level, we have pretty much everything we need. America is productive enough that it could probably shelter, feed, educate, and even provide health care for its entire population with just a fraction of us actually working."

"According the the UN Food and Agriculture Organization, there is enough food produced to provide everyone in the world with 2,720 kilo-calories per person per day. And that's even after America disposes of thousands of tons of crop and dairy just to keep market prices high. Meanwhile, American banks overloaded with foreclosed properties are demolishing vacant dwellings to get the empty houses off their books."

"Our problem is not that we don't have enough stuff - it's that we don't have enough ways for people to work and prove that they deserve this stuff."

_______________________________________________

Sourced from a 2011 Special Report to CNN by Douglas Rushkoff & the book: Abundance: The Future is Better than you Think written by Peter Diamandis)

Todd William

About Todd William -

My name is Todd William and I’m an indie author. I like to focus on the positives in life. I’m like kryptonite for cynics. I’m a dedicated father and husband, a science and tech buff, a psychology enthusiast, chess and MMA fanatic, and noble introvert. My biggest fault might just be that I’m annoyingly happy all the time.

I’m addicted to books. I read constantly on a variety of topics, the result being that I tend to know a little about a lot of things yet not a whole lot about any one thing. I lay no claim to superior wisdom. I merely have an unyielding appetite for knowledge coupled with a strong desire to contemplate intriguing thoughts.